With the standard means of the Android operating system it is quite difficult to use proxies, so you need to have a smartphone with root privileges. With root you as an administrator can fully control the traffic of any program and, if necessary, send it through the selected proxy. The easiest application to set up a proxy on a smartphone with root rights is the ProxyDroid application.
In that case, if you do not have the necessary root rights on your smartphone, you can use the mobile browser Firefox with the Network Preferences Add-On
In our article we will look at both of these methods to proxy our traffic.
This little app has these characteristics:
- Working with HTTP / HTTPS / SOCKS4 / SOCKS5
- Working with basic NTLM methods of NTLMv2 definition
- Personal proxies for only one or group of programs at a time
- Working with profiles
- Customizable BIND for SSID / mobile Wi-Fi networks in (2G / 3G)
- Widgets to quickly connect / disconnect proxies
- Low battery consumption and minimal RAM consumption
- Bypassing of user IP-addresses
- DNS proxy for those who have a firewall
- Working with PAC files.
Setting up a proxy on Android using ProxyDroid (requires root)
Recall that the application works correctly only if you have root on your device.
So, you have root. You also have a proxy. Now you have to:
- Download ProxyDroid app from Google Play.
- In the application choose the Host tab and enter the data obtained from the site.
- Then go to the tab Port and enter the port.
- 4. Check the Auto Connect checkbox.
- Then go to the menu Bound Network and here check the networks for which we want to use an anonymous connection and click OK
- At this point all traffic will go through the anonymous proxy. Check this at http://ipleak.com
Configuring proxies in Firefox mobile browser with Network Preferences Add-On
- Download and install mobile Firefox for smartphones
- Go to tools > Add-ons > and click Browse all Firefox Add-ons
- You get to the Firefox internal repository, where you type in the word Proxy in the text box. Find and download Network Preferences Add-On. After installing this extension Firefox starts to support proxy server settings.
Once installed, its settings window looks like this:
Mozilla firefox mobile proxy settings on Adnroid phone
Now you can add the port number and the IP of the server.
Open Mozilla Firefox on your phone and type about:config in the address bar. Firefox will open the configuration page and the search form.
- Type network.proxy in the search box, all the options related to proxy settings appear on the screen.
Setting up a proxy server for the mobile version of Mozilla
- Click to change >
- Network.Proxy.socks – select SOCKS5
- Proxy configuration
- In the Proxy Server IP-address field, enter your data
- Then find and change the value “Network.proxy.type” from 0 to the one you like
(Note: The values of Network.proxy.type> No Proxy: 0, Automatic proxy settings for this network: 4, Use system proxy settings: 5, Manual proxy settings: 1)
The Network Preferences Add-On configuration is now complete, you can start using it.
Naturally, it is necessary to remember that this way you will not be able to achieve full proxying of all programs, games and applications, you will only be able to surf anonymously through the FireFox browser. For this reason, for real protection, we advise you to get root rights and install and configure the ProxyDroid application.